After I finished up the two quilts for Robin, it was on to a baby quilt for Stephanie. Stephanie has twins, one boy and one girl, and wanted to make one quilt with both of their clothes in it. I thought about the layout quite a bit and I decided to keep the shirts separate, "his and hers" style. By making the blanket wider than it is tall, both kids could lay on it next to each other on their side of the blanket (while they're still little of course. Here's to another cute kids blanket!!
I showed you the finished quilts for Robin's girls but I didn't show you how I repaired the blankies after I cut a square out of them...
Last time I showed you Robin's quilt, I had finished cutting all the shirts and was working on interfacing them. I had cut squares out of the baby blankie but not replaced them. Really, I had done most of the hard parts and then the sewing and quilting goes pretty quick!
Once I got approval on the "rough" layout for each of the quilts, it was time to start cutting and working on the items that needed to be appliqued. I also especially wanted to show how I deal with some of the special items. I want to show you how we go from this dress to a shirt block.
When my first niece was born, my sister in law asked if I would make a bed spread for her when she was ready to move into her "big girl bed". So we decided that would be a 2nd birthday gift. Well then my next nieces Emma and Addi were born and I made one for each of them. And then our next nephew Greyson (our oldest nephew kind of got jipped since I wasn't quilting yet when he turned two so he'll get one eventually too). Greyson turned two in September but I knew I wasn't going to get it done in time. So we bought him a normal birthday present and I said it would be his Christmas gift. Obviously I'm a little behind since it's March and not done yet but anyways...
I just realized that I never posted about one of the last baby clothes quilts I did. I finished it a couple months ago so you guys must think I quit sewing entirely, LOL. I assure you I'm still sewing - just at a bit of a slower rate than before. Anyways, below are some pics from Karen's baby clothes quilt (I can't seem to find the finished pics but I just changed laptops so I'll look on the other computer and update the pics below if/when I find them)
After I got all the blocks sewn, I played around with a couple of different layouts until I found one I liked. I decided to have the columns of planes alternating directions and the different colored backgrounds going in a diagonal pattern. I also tried to make it so there weren't two planes with the same fabric near each other. Fortunately for me, Tabitha was perfectly happy with this layout so I was able to go ahead and piece together the top.
A few months ago, a friend asked me to make a custom quilt for her daughter (she was still pregnant at the time). Her husband is a test pilot for Velocity and they own their own aircraft so when they saw the quilt below (click the pic to see the original) they knew they needed an airplane quilt for their daughter Ashtyn.
It's hard to believe it's been so long since I had sewing pictures and such to share. My sewing really slowed down in April & May but I did get one other quilt done - a baby clothes quilt for Bobbi Jo.
I know it's been TWO WHOLE WEEKS since my last post and I promise I'll share more of what I've been up to but before that, I want to show you Adrianne's quilt. Adrianne has been so patient while I worked on her quilt and it really came out adorable.