Rian's DTD Tshirt Quilt
As some of you may remember, each Fall at Alpha Phi's Red Dress Gala they host an auction to raise money for heart health through the Alpha Phi Foundation. My contribution to the auction is a tshirt quilt. The first year I made a complete quilt from extra shirts the chapter had but we realized that if instead we auctioned a coupon/certificate for a quilt to be made from someone's shirts, then attendees who are members of other organizations could bid on it too!
Goodbye 2014, Hello 2015
It's kind of funny how the change of the year leads us all to look back on what we did and make new plans for the coming year. I mean, we could look back and review what we've been doing at anytime. But somehow we've become trained to treat this holiday like the start of a new chapter in our lives. This year was busier in some ways and less in others, let's take a look at what happened in 2014...
Sandy's Quilt Finished
The last two weeks i have been a sewing fiend - too busy to even update my blog about all the great work I've been doing :) Last time I posted about Sandy's quilt, I had just finished cutting and interfacing the shirts.
Bianca's Quilt Complete!
I am so happy to say that I finally got Bianca's quilt done! That might be the largest quilt I've ever done and it certainly has the most shirt blocks I've ever sewn!
Check out the other posts in the series here:
Part 1: Planning & Cutting
Part 2: Interfacing
Part 3: Piecing the Quilt Top
Part 4: Quilt Back
Part 5: Quilting
Some of you might recall that last year I went to a regional conference for Alpha Phi in place of the advisor. Now that I am the chapter advisor, it was my responsibility to go again this year.
Bianca's Quilt Pt 6 - Quilting
Normally I don't have quite so many posts about the same quilt but this quilt has as many shirts as two or even three of my normal quilts so it has taken quite a bit longer. Last time, I mentioned I had finally finished piecing the back of the quilt (this one's double sided, remember?). Well, I got the beast onto the quilt machine and got all the quilting done! I unfortunately didn't have enough leftover fabric to make the binding so as soon as that comes in the mail, this quilt will finally be complete!
Once the layout was finalized for Sandy's quilt, I got all the shirts and interfacing cut.
Sandy's Quilt Pt 1 - Planning
I've got another fun Alpha Phi tshirt quilt started and I can't wait to see it come together! Here's a sneak peak of the layout for this quilt.
I got my next bolt of interfacing in the mail and was finally able to finish interfacing all the shirts!
Bianca's Quilt Pt 2 - Interfacing
After I got all the shirts cut, I was ready to start interfacing the shirts. For anyone that hasn't used interfacing - it's just a thin layer that gets ironed on to keep the shirts from stretching. I used that table I made that shows all the cut sizes of the shirts and cut squares of interfacing to match.