| || || || |
Every year people end up hanging out in the kitchen at our Halloween party even though it has the least amount of decorations. So I decided that this year I would try to make some spooky and/or slimy jars to put up in our kitchen window shelves.
Each year for Halloween, I usually try to make one new prop or decoration such as Skeletor (the skeleton fountain who now holds the tempt your fate balloons), the most awesome tombstones ever , an air cannon (shoots compressed air at you when you walk by), a flock of bats, etc. Last year we didn't attempt to make anything new since we had the wedding coming up. So for this year, I decided I needed to do a lot more work in the kitchen.
First I decided to make some slime from Borax and Elmer's glue. I searched around the internet and found lots of people doing tutorials and recipes. the one I picked was super easy.
First, gather some Borax (I bought mine at Walmart), Elmer's glue, a teaspoon, two cups or bowls and a spoon to stir.
In one cup, pour in 1/2 cup of cold water and 4oz Elmer's glue. In the other cup (right), pour in 1 cup cold water and 1 tsp Borax.
If desired, add food coloring to the cup with the glue. Stir the glue and water until thoroughly mixed. Stir the water and Borax until the Borax is all dissolved.
Take the cup with the watered down glue and pour it into the cup with the Borax. Stir thoroughly - although it will become slime almost immediately.
Here's what the slime looks like. There will be extra water in the cup so go ahead and take the slime out. If you want it less watery, keep working it with your hands and it will firm up.
I poured my slime into a jar with some eyeballs and ears and tried to smear it around the edges to make it look extra gross. If you wanted the slime to be less opaque (more see-through) you could use the clear Elmer's glue. I wanted to use the clear but they didn't have any at my local walmart so I just used the white.
The slime came out I guess but I certainly didn't want to do all the jars like this - plus I was worried that the slime might not do as well with the other props I had in jars. So for some of the others, I mixed some red food coloring in some Elmer's glue, shook it up and dripped it into the jars.
I know the drips kind of obscure what's in the jar but the fake organs are so cheesy looking that I was kind of hoping to obscure it a bit so you can see it's something red, bloody and maybe human parts but not what exactly it's supposed to be. I made around 8 total jars to put up on the shelves near my kitchen window so as soon as I get the rest of the display set up I'll put up pics to share my display.