- Eyeliner: I just started trying to use eyeliner at all about a year or two ago. I’m not very good at it and I am never sure if I have done a good job or not since I don’t know what it is supposed to look like. Mel showed me a new way to hold my eye shut to help make it straight and even so I am going to try doing that. I also kind of want to try a liquid eyeliner and see if I like that (right now I use one that is more like a crayon, I hate the regular pencil ones)
- Eye shadow: You should have seen the shock on the girls’ faces when I said I only use 1-2 colors of eye shadow at a time. Clearly more colors are needed for these amazing looks. I think I need to get some of the eye makeup sets that come with several colors and tell you exactly where to apply each color. That would probably help me a lot. I also should probably watch some YouTube videos but those can be tricky – you never know if the person on there actually knows what they are talking about
- Fake eyelashes: I’ve never really seen anyone wear these out (in person I mean, I’ve seen them plenty on tv). They are pretty awesome. In fact, I didn’t even realize Krysta had fake lashes on – I thought she just did an amazing job on her eyeliner and mascara. Need to get a pair to try out on a day where it won’t matter if I screw them up so that if I ever want to seriously wear them out I’ll know what I’m getting into. Any suggestions on where to get them (I’m sure Ulta has them) or what kinds you like?
- Teasing & “the poof”: I seriously had no idea how they make a “poof” and the girls said, “oh you just keep teasing it”. Of course my response was “huh?”. I need to try this out one weekend when I am with a friend or someone who can tell me if it looks good and if I’m doing it right.
- Curling: Krysta showed me a new way to curl my hair (which hopefully I can remember) so that you can get the curls to start closer to the roots without frying the ends of your hair
- Braiding and Twisting: I think Krysta must have done 10 different kinds of braiding and twisting on her hair while we were there and every single time it looked great. I am going to try to start learning how to do some of them – I’ve always loved braids (never too old for them in my opinion). I think I’ll try to start with a fishtail. I also need to figure out how to tightly French braid my hair because that is how I prefer to wear my hair during triathlons (you can’t fit a ponytail under your bike helmet).
- Nails: In high school, I used to love painting my nails. I would do all different colors or paint letters or images on them. I even did stickers and water transfers. But in college I just suddenly stopped painting them at all. Well now it’s time to get back into it. I’m currently working on shaping my fingernails more evenly and just being able to paint a solid color nice and even without missing spots or going over. However, I did buy a set of dotting tools, some tiny rhinestones and some nail art pens to try out doing designs. I haven’t tried any designs yet but I will definitely try to do some hearts or something for Valentine’s day so I’ll post pics when I do it.
- Clothes: I need some serious help in this department. My biggest offense is lack of choices. When I get money to buy new clothes I typically only spend it on blouses for work because they are usually dressy enough to wear out and still nice enough to wear to work. The downside to that is that they are all very conservative and I have virtually no casual summery clothes to wear around. I need to start trying to go shopping at least once a month to look for clearance clothes that I would like. I also need to take a picture of myself in them before buying because it frequently looks much different in pictures (sometimes better sometimes worse) than what I see in the mirror. Trust the pictures – that’s what other people see too. I’m hoping that Liz might want to start doing a once-a-month outing where we can do shopping and dinner or lunch (and maybe rotate locations between Vero Beach Outlets, Melbourne Mall, Hammock Landing & Avenues at Viera). The more I shop the easier it should get right? Now I’ll just have to work this into my budget somehow, lol.
- Skinny jeans: I have always vowed against them but apparently Kayla finally tried some (she is a similar size to me, maybe a little smaller) and she loves them (and she looks adorable in them). So maybe I should at least try some on with a cute top and take a picture? I’ll definitely need some cute heels or wedges to wear with them if I get any though which brings me to my next topic…
- Shoes: Again, my biggest offense is lack of choices. I get compliments on the ones I have but I only have 2-3 pairs of heels and 2-3 pairs of sandals so I frequently end up wearing the same ones or not being able to find shoes I really like to go with a specific outfit.
- Jewelry: I actually do pretty decent in this department. I would like to continue building my little collection and I could use some more variance in style (many of mine are similar in style but different in colors). And there is one more thing that would make my collection complete…how about a nice diamond ring? Heehee :)
I Sure Did Learn a Lot
Growing up, I never had a lot of girlfriends and especially not any that were very girly. I never really learned how to do my makeup or style my hair. I never had a super stylish girlfriend to go shopping with me and get cute new clothes. It never bothered me much growing up and it didn’t really even bother me too much in college because I went to an engineering school were there were very few girls and most of them weren’t very girly either. When I started dating Ryan and we started to hang out with his sister-in-law Mel and her friends…I started to realize just how behind I really am. As I watch the girls pull out palettes of makeup with hundreds of colors and expertly apply them all over to make a model like look, my puny little makeup collection looks like it belongs to a child. So over the cruise weekend, I tried to pay close attention to the other girls to see exactly what kinds of things I need to work on and here are some of my revelations:
2/17/2012 04:13:24 am
When I move there we can go shopping!! I am great at finding deals :-D I can't help with the hair or fake eyelashes, I just do whatever Krysta tells me.. but I'm pretty handy with eyeliner! We'll have to start a girls night.
Leave a Reply.